September Reading Goals

This is going to be a very, very hard month (or few months) at work, so I am going to be a bit broader in my goals than I have been in the past, with a full expectation that I will fall short. It is, as always, all about the striving:

  • 8 plays (52 Plays/52 Weeks project)
  • The Iliad (for work)
  • Challenges - there will be some overlap here, I hope
    • 2 books from the NYT Notable Challenge
    • 2 Australian books (Year of Down Under Challenge)
    • 2 award winners (Book Awards Challenge)
    • 2 books by unread authors (Unread Authors Challenge)
  • Reading Groups
    • The Woman Who Waited by Makine (Slaves of Golconda)
    • G. by Berger (Booker Prize)
    • We by Zamyatin (Books in Translation)
    • The Echo Maker by Powers (Pulitzer)
  • Empire Rising by Sam Barone (ARC)
  • 4 Graphic Novels (since I have returned to my huge pile from the library)
  • To finish from August
    • Gilgamesh by Joan London
    • Tales from Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin
Anything else I manage to read this month will just be gravy. It will be a miracle if I finish a fraction of these.

There is one more resolution I would like to take up this month, inspired by Nick Hornby's Polysyllabic Spree. I am going to attempt to start keeping track of the books I bring into my home (through gifts, buying, mooching, or my reckless, unbridled library usage), as well as those I actually read.

3 Responses so far.

  1. Eva says:

    Good luck with your reading!

    That's fun that you're going to pattern parts of your blog off of The Polysyllabic Spree (I loved it), so I'm looking forward to reading about your new books. :)

  2. Anonymous says:

    Best of luck! Given how I've been going lately, I'm just glad I finished my library books in time to get them back today without having to renew them. That was my personal challenge. ;}

  3. Thanks for the good wishes, eva and heather! Work is so crazy this month that it seems likely that a lot more books will be coming in than are going out. I just received four more in the mail today. Ah, the wonders of BookMooch....

Leave a Reply