An Unread Authors Challenge?

Loose Baggy Monster has made an intriguing suggestion in response to my last post on unread and under-read authors: could a challenge possibly emerge out of these gaps and lists? I think this is a marvelous idea, and I thought I would feel out whether others share my enthusiasm. I must also ponder what form it will take, and when it could occur, in the Challenge saturated world of blogdom. Perhaps the Fall?

What form do you all think would be best for an "Unread Authors" challenge? How about something like (Sept.-Feb.) "read six books by six authors whose work you have never read before." This would leave open the possibility of focusing on one (or a few) unread author(s) and reading multiple works by them, or reading a single work each from six different authors. The emphasis would be on reading authors who you feel form regretful gaps in your reading thus far, authors who you have long MEANT to attempt.

Let me know what you think.

4 Responses so far.

  1. I think you've got a great idea with the six books/six months format. I especially like the idea of starting in the fall, as that would give me plenty of time to acquire more books that I "want/mean" to read. Besides, for any of the Russian novels/authors that I've been meaning to get around to, the late autumn/winter season definitely puts me in the mood. So sign me up!


    My list of gap-related authors is rather daunting, but I will attempt to whittle it down to a few (I, too, love making lists).

  2. kookie says:

    Strange as it seems, I can't think of any authors I've long wanted to try, but haven't. I'm pretty good about that. However, I bet I'd get some good ideas from other participants, so I'll keep this potential challenge in mind should you decide to run with it.

  3. Wendy says:

    Oh, I'd be up for this if it started in the fall :)

  4. I'm already doing something like that for the TBR Challenge this year. I have so many books on my TBR shelves written by authors I have yet to read. I'd be up for another challenge!

Leave a Reply