An Embarassment of Riches

Just returned from the library with a haul so delightful that I actually have to put it down in words:

  • Nick Hornby's The Complete Polysyllabic Spree (which I started over lunch)
  • The Looming Tower, Lawrence Wright's reputedly impressive account of Al Qaeda
  • A Fortunate Life by A.B. Facey, for my Down Under challenge
  • Three for the NYT Notable Book Challenge, all of which I recalled from some other poor soul, leaving me with the desperate feeling that I need to read them immediately before they are recalled from me in my turn.
    • The Road by Cormac McCarthy
    • Digging to America by Anne Tyler
    • All Aunt Hagar's Children by Edward P. Jones
  • And a bevy of books I learned about from reading other book bloggers' enthusiastic reviews
    • Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin, about a man who raises money to build schools in Afghanistan.
    • The satirical England, Their England by A.G. MacDonell
    • Jenny and the Jaws of Life, a collection of short stories by Jincy Willett
    • Tryst by Elswyth Thane (only on loan for a single month, piling on the urgency)
When I arrived home, after a long trudge through snow and wind, what should be waiting for me but more delights from the mail: James's The Ambassadors (ok, perhaps to call this one a delight might be a trifle premature) and Linda Newbery's Set in Stone, which won the Costa (formerly Whitbread) Children's Book Award this year.

I see, however, that my "Currently Reading" list is getting, well, somewhat long, so perhaps I should concentrate on finishing up some stuff before I jump into this new pile feet first.

6 Responses so far.

  1. Wendy says:

    What a haul! I like the books you picked up for the NYT challenge...those are high up on my list as well so I'll be interested to see how you like them!

  2. Thanks, wendy! I think I will start out with "The Road" (as soon as I have polished off a few works in progress), since I see that someone else has already recalled it from me.

  3. Sarah says:

    That is a wonderful pile of books! Personally, I've read and enjoyed The Polysyllabic Spree, A Fortunate Life, The Road and Digging to America.

  4. I should get the Complete Polysyllabic Spree, as I enjoyed the selections I've read quite a lot.

  5. kookie says:

    Yes, do finish 'The Road' quickly. I'm interested to know what you thought. I loved it. LOVED it.

  6. Bybee says:

    I enjoyed Digging To America; hope you do too.

    The Ambassadors...hmmm...hope you have better luck than I did. Henry James and Edith Wharton had a lot of the same ideas regarding fiction, but Wharton seemed to be able to put it across so much more readably. But I haven't given up on James yet! I know there's a novel of his out there that will make me finally appreciate him...but it's not The Ambassadors, unfortunately.

Leave a Reply