The Non-Fiction Five Challenge: A Second Attempt


Last year I participated in the wonderful Non-Fiction Five Challenge, because I truly do delight in non-fiction, which doesn't make enough appearances in the annals of my pleasure reading. Ultimately, I only made it through 3 of the 5 required books, and I am not totally convinced I read most of those within the time scheme of the challenge. Boo to me.

Well, this year I, unabashed, make another attempt at Joy's Challenge. Here are the rules:

  1. Read 5 non-fiction books during the months of May - September, 2008 (please link your reviews at Thoughts of Joy)
  2. Read at least one non-fiction book that is different from your other choices (i.e.: 4 memoirs and 1 self-help)
You can sign up for the challenge, see the list of participants, or read all about it here.

For me, a number of books will be reappearing from last year's list. Like last year, I will have a list of five, with six alternates, some of which may change over the course of the challenge:

    1. 1599: A Year in the Life of Shakespeare by James Shapiro
    2. This Boy's Life by Tobias Wolff
    3. Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt
    4. Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser
    5. A Brief History of the Caribbean by Jan Rogozinski
Extra Credit:
    1. Random Family by Adrian Nicole LeBlanc
    2. The Trojan War: A New History by Barry Strauss
    3. The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion
    4. The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan
    5. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson
    6. Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science by Atul Gawande
Since the start of the challenge is still a way off, I won't be able to include a book I just finished and hope to review soon, The Translator by Daoud Hari. Nor will I include a truly gripping account of the North Carolina/Duke basketball rivalry that I am currently reading while I watch UNC progress to the ACC championship (Go Heels!): To Hate Like This Is to Be Happy Forever by Will Blythe. Also unincluded will be (probably) my next non-fiction venture, the library's copy of a biography of Cary Grant that has been sitting on my shelf for months. I am now experiencing a rampant desire to read all the books I have named in this post simultaneously. Best just to back away and return to the many reading projects I already have underway, at least until May.

3 Responses so far.

  1. Anonymous says:

    Oh, oh, move this one up!
    _The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan_. But warning: parts of it are horrifying and anger-making - but it will change your idea of food for the better. Mindfulness in all things!

  2. Joy says:

    Oh yay! Even though you didn't complete the challenge last year, I'm so glad you are giving it a go again this year. And 3/5 books was still better than none. :)

    You mention The Translator. I have that listed as a possibility. All I have seen are rave reviews. I look forward to reading yours.

  3. R: Hmm, maybe I will move it up the list! I am waiting to receive it from BookMooch, and will be hard pressed to wait until the start of the challenge to begin reading it.

    Joy: Thanks so much for the welcome! I am so pleased to be participating again. I hope to have a review of "The Translator" out in the next couple of days.

Leave a Reply